Friday 18 April 2014

Were you on the Masterclass with Eduardo Paolozzi in 1996?
Would you like to contribute to a book about the 10 days we spent with him?
If so contact me – Ann Shaw-
 email- annshaw@mac.com, or text/mobile-07543 671260 or through my web-site: www.annshaw.co.uk




“What is the purpose of a Masterclass?”

I asked Eduardo Paolozzi as we sat around the table over coffee in the café of Edinburgh College of Art.

His reply is unexpected.

“ To bring you lot together, so that you can learn from each other.”

Well, that was in 1996. 

  What did we learn in our 10-day Masterclass with him and how has it influenced our work?

He asked us all to keep a diary and the other day I found mine and re-read it and I was struck by how prescient his views were and relevant to today’s fast changing world.

Like a canary in the cage, though I would hesitate to compare Paolozzi to a canary- more like a big, solid, lumbering blacksmith, he had sensed the future.



So the purpose of this blog is to try and contact all those other students who were with me to see if we can share again those experiences and what we learnt as artists.

How many others have still got their diaries?

I had intended to publish mine as an e-book until I realised how much stronger it would be if I could have the input from other students who were on that Masterclass with me.


Where are you all now?  Fortunately Geraldine Prince, art historian and course organiser, gave us a list of all participants and thanks to the internet I am able to locate quite a few from the class.

Whether they want to share those experiences of nearly twenty years ago is another matter.

So lets see what happens…
Hopefully others will come forward and their writings and work will be shared both on this blog and subsequent book.





No comments :

Post a Comment