Tuesday 22 April 2014

Masterclass with Paolozzi- 1996
Were you on the Masterclass with Eduardo Paolozzi in 1996?
Would you like to contribute to a book about the 10 days we spent with him?
If so contact me – Ann Shaw-
 email- annshaw@mac.com, or text/mobile-07543 671260 or through my web-site: www.annshaw.co.uk
Meanwhile I am putting up extracts from my own diary with him.




"Paolozzi is all about the unexpected - as anyone brave enough to sign up for his Masterclass in Edinburgh this summer will quickly discover” – art critic Iain Gale. The Independent


Day One:
“You will learn by a process of osmosis”

   We stand in the big, white, empty sculpture studio of Edinburgh College of Art waiting for Paolozzi, the grand old man of British sculpture, with whom we are going to work with over the next ten days.

We’re a mixed bunch from professional artists and art students to a retired teacher, doctor, surgeon and a collection of “others”.
I fall into the “others” category – a journalist about to give up work on the Glasgow Herald to go as a mature student to Glasgow School of Art. Am I making a mistake? Will I regret it?

But where is Paolozzi? It’s 9.30 and Geraldine Prince, art historian and course arrives. “His flight from Paris has been delayed. I suggest you all go and have a coffee.”

   En route to the cafĂ© I see a poster advertising “Masterclass with Paolozzi” and a student scribbled on it:” Be afraid…be very afraid.”

   We sit and drink coffee. “Do you think he is as ferocious as his reputation says,” I ask a bearded young man next to me.” He nods.

  Geraldine hands us a programme for the next ten days with the caveat: “He may well tear all this up once he sees it”. (He does).

No comments :

Post a Comment